The Plus 8 label boss is planning to launch his own tech
The annual NAMM trade show for musical products is now underway in Anaheim, California (Jan 21-24), promising a round of announcements from the world of DJ technology. To kick things off, techno ambassador Richie Hawtin has issued a mysterious statement from NAMM that’s already fueling speculation.
The DJ has aligned with tech innovator Andy Rigby-Jones, who masterminded Allen & Heath’s Xone mixer series, to develop a “an instrument to take the artistry of DJing and performance to the next level.” Hawtin also tweeted that the collaboration has been two years in the making.
The partnership with Allen & Heath and parent company Audiotonix already has a name attached, Play Differently, and a bare-bones website. As the message on the site reads, “The ethos of Play Differently is to create products that will magnify the individuality and expand the creativity of today’s generation of electronic music artists, producers and DJs. We hope to encourage and inspire creatives to Play Differently.” Aside from those words, all that the site reveals are some sleek black knobs in close-up.
Hawtin is a proponent of Allen & Heath’s Xone:92 DJ mixer, so it’s possible the collaboration with Rigby-Jones is a new iteration of the Xone. As reported by DJTechTools, some dedicated tech sleuths on the Hispasonic forum have been honing in on recent photos of Hawtin in the booth to see what new mixer he’s working with.
Play Differently : http://www.playdifferently.org/
- Monegros : Official Trailer 2011
- Electrocutaos Festival 2011
- 3Phazegenerator : "Shatterling"
- Narkotek Sound System : Live Monegros 2011
- Laurent Garnier : Live at Monegros Desert Festival 2010 (22 min)
- Jerome Hill : Restless Natives, London, 09/03/2012
- Infected Mushroom : Live Monegros 2011
- Popof : Live at Monegros Desert Festival, 2010 [20 min]
- Sickest Squad : Live Monegros 2011
- Teenage Engineering Launches 3 New Pocket Operator Synths