“Nina”, the long-in-the-works Nina Simone biopic starring Zoe Saldana, is finally set for release next month. Written and directed by Cynthia Mort (“The Brave One”), the film chronicles the late, great musician’s career and role as a civil rights activist.
Ahead of its April 22nd premiere date, the first trailer has been revealed. Featuring scenes set on-stage and at a hospital, it offers a peek into Simone’s tumultuous rise to fame.
Plagued by cast issues (Mary J. Blige had once been attached to the project; Zaldana received backlash due to her lack of resemblance to Simone and singing experience) and problems with the movie’s UK producer, the release of “Nina” has been in limbo since 2010. In fact, Simone’s own daughter, Lisa Kelly, chose to support last summer’s “What Happened, Miss Simone?” documentary instead of Mort’s forthcoming biopic.
Along with Zaldana, David Oyelowo (Selma) and Mike Epps (Next Friday) are set appear in “Nina”.
- Twisted Wrath : Siege of Limerick, 27/03/2016
- Power Trip : 2016 European Tour
- Jul 22-23 : Tresparock 2016
- Kingpin : Warzone Centre, Belfast, 29/05/2016
- By Any Means : Siege of Limerick, 27/03/2016
- Avenged Sevenfold confirm new album amid label dispute
- Queen Zee and the Sasstones : 0161 Festival, Manchester, 01/05/2016
- Concert To Calais tour announced
- Towers : Bridges Skate Park, Belfast, 25/06/2016
- Hardships : Warzone Centre, Belfast, 29/05/2016